This FAQ is based on personal experience . It is designed primarily for users who want to get to a locked resource, but it can also be useful for owners of banned sites.
What if access to the site is blocked?
If you try to open the site and the message appears in the browser: "Dear Customers, We apologize, but the access to the requested resource is limited...", "Dear user! You have requested access to the Internet resources are limited...", "IP-address of this resource is blocked... ", "The domain name of the site is blocked..." or similar - that means your ISP blocks the site. In addition to the provider which allows your entrance to Internet, the access to the site can disable its administrator, the browser, the system administrator at work, a virus or antivirus software on your computer. Provider usually is easily recognized by the report, in contrast to the virus he did not ask to send an SMS. Although it can just appear a message "site certificate is invalid", "site is temporarily unavailable", "page is not available", "not found" and goodbye. But the site is accessible to other people. Therefore it is useful to know how to get around the blocking of your access to any site at all, of course, if various other Internet resources can be opened.
Quick solution: click this link and enter the address of the blocked site.
A little more info:
- If you can not open a locked resource from Google, the search engine in the cache has "Cached" page. However, the text of the site without its style and images is interesting to very few people.
- If you have limited access to the clip on youtube, you can download mp4 video file for example through savefrom.net and watch it on your computer or smart.
- If you still need to visit the site - you can try different anonymizers. For example the link presently is opening youtube and helps with the message "This content is not in the domain of your country at the request of ..." But anonymizers are defective tools: they often don't support scripts and https encryption, violate the site design, etc.
- If you want to open the site in full - there are proxies in stationary browsers. IP addresses of proxies are published regularly at special sites, for example spys.ru. Public proxy live for a short period and are slow, ie, use of them is very impractical.
- If you are interested in the easiest way - it is Opera Turbo. Enough to enable the Turbo mode in your Opera browser - and you can go to most of the blocked sites. In Yandex Browser the Turbo mode can also be found and enabled - works not worse as compared to Opera. If your browser is Opera Mini for Mobile Devices - there is no need even to enable Turbo mode, it always works and opens up everything.
- If you could not open the site at once - do not suffer in vain, but rather download the Tor Browser. Tor is ideal for anonymous work on the Internet, does not require installation in the system, and has a special .onion domain where sites are not blocked, and live the real villains. It fully opens any website and hides from your provider all the information.
- If you want to hide the traffic from your ISP on all your browsers, as well as in Skype and ICQ - install on the computer or smartphone an utility called Virtual Private Network (VPN). VPN are uncomplicated, enabled when necessary, and they are free. SecurityKISS is an example, and specifically for Android there is an Orbot application that connects your mobile browser to the Internet through the Tor network.
- If you're used to the Google Chrome browser - you can install ZenMate VPN extension for Chrome. It encrypts the connection and opens all sites. When it is not necessary, it can be disabled via the button, in order not to slow down the connection. There are also ZenMate versions for Firefox, Opera, Android and iOS. FriGate is another popular proxy extension for browsers.
More details: how to bypass the blocking of banned sites - link.
Why ISP blocks the site?
Most likely the site contains non-child or non-kosher information, the dissemination of which is prohibited by federal law from July 28, 2012 N 139-FZ having a touching name "...The protection of children...". There are also a law of Lugovoi from December 28, 2013 N 398-FZ concerning the websites with extremist content and the Federal Law of July 2, 2013 N 187-FZ on the protection of intellectual property rights from the websites, making access to unlicensed video production.
ROSKOMNADZOR obliges Russian Internet providers to block user access to Internet resources that contain information prohibited by law.
Blocking websites without trial is possible after the decision of the federal body in the presence of:
- Materials with pornographic images of minors or announcements about bringing children as performers to take part in entertainment of a pornographic nature;
- Information about the methods, the development of methods of manufacture and the use of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their precursors, the acquisition places of such substances and their precursors, the methods and places of cultivation of narcotic plants;
- Information on how to commit suicide, as well as the calls to commit suicide;
The fact of blocking the websites by the decision of "qualified experts" from organizations that determine the kashrut - is an obvious outrage and censorship on the Internet. Gosnarkokontrol especially succeeded in this matter: more.
In accordance with the Lugovoi law the decision to block the sites distributing the calls to mass disorder and containing other extremist information, can make the RF Prosecutor General or his deputies.
The sites can also be blocked when they contain the information, the dissemination of which is prohibited by a court decision (pirated copies of movies, online casinos, prostitution, pornography, forgery and other up to slander). First cases of blocking by the court were relatively rare, and there is no statistics. ISPs blocked the sites by direct prescription of prosecutors or court decision of Muhosransk city, briefly it was the chaos. Over time, provincial prosecutors, who have nothing to do, appreciated the charm of the fight against the multifaceted and dumb virtual evil in the network from the comfort of their office. This was aided by the centralization of their efforts under the auspices of Roskomnadzor, which provided a blocking of bad sites across the whole country. Deciding that the evil must be fighted by all and sundry, some even invaded the sphere of interests of the GNK and make it a competition. Naturally, the law is the law, the work is the work, and the eyes are not ashamed.
Now the representative of Roskomnadzor is often present on the stage of the process in a court, and nothing can be done without the Unified Register. Roskomnadzor itself sueses claims in the benefit of organizations (the case the Federal Drug Control Service against Krovostok site) and even individual citizens who were wronged and injured in the internet (Sjutkin against Lurkmore site). At this point there is nothing to object to, this option to combat the information by far is the most legitimate and fashionable.
Despite the fact that the censorship is prohibited by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, obscurantism in the whole assumed such proportions that in 2015, the Internet community has introduced special error code 451 to indicate the pages rejected by the censors, although the activities of the defenders of copyright and similar persons are certainly developing in other countries too.
What is the Unified Register of banned sites?
Unified register of domain names, Internet website page links and network addresses enabling to identify the Internet websites containing the information prohibited for public distribution in the Russian Federation - is an automated information system and a database of the sites containing the information forbidden to spread in the Russia.
The register is administered by Roskomnadzor. It was created by infant Act of 28 July 2012 N 139-FZ "On the Protection of Children... from the information...", which made the changes to the Federal Law of 27 July 2006 N 149-FZ "On Information, Information Technologies and protection of information."
Is there somewhere an official website of this miracle?
To access the highly credited registry, it was organized a special website, zapret-info.gov.ru.
A typical user will not find the banned sites on the Roskomnadzor website. Full list of banned sites can and should receive only the Russian internet providers. But anyone can see whether the particular site or individual pages of the site are in the registry, even before sending this information to the providers. This makes sense primarily for owners of banned sites.
Although the sites that Roskomnadzor has blocked by the decision of the Prosecutor General and for the infringement of copyright, are in other lists, they are often collectively referred to as the Register of banned sites.
Where can I find a complete list of banned sites?
See the full list of banned sites, the history of making entry and removal of internet resources from it and find all the prohibited sites (including those blocked by Roskomnadzor on courts) here: rublacklist.net.
How my ISP blocks the site?
At first someone must prohibit the site and notify on this achievement Roskomnadzor, which makes an entry in the list of banned sites:
- Usually the individual pages of the site,
- Sometimes the entire site (domain name),
- In addition, the list is updated with the IP address of the site (which is the same for any page of this site).
Then Roskomnadzor informs the hosting provider and sometimes the owner of the site: he wants that the non-kosher content to be removed/hidden. If it wasn't done, the list of banned sites with the new entry is transmitted to all operators, including your ISP. He should limit your access to the Internet resource. The provider chooses a way of restricting the access to the information by itself, depending on the available technical means.
Previously, internet service providers widely practiced the blocking of sites over IP. As a result there were blocked other, innocent sites having the same IP address. This led to serious criticism and forced most of ISPs refuse such a malpractice. Today, most providers are technically able to provide the lock of individual pages of http sites, and even began to use it instead of a simple blocking of any site in its entirety.
Please check the details with your ISP, because you chosen it. At least don't hesitate to write an e-mail to provider in the customer support and find out the relationship in the case when the reason for blocking of any site is unclear for you. This is the answer what to do if a site is blocked... Pre, you can check whether the site is present in the list of banned sites (the link above, valid for Russia only).
Who are the censors in the Internet?
In drawing up the list of banned sites Roskomnadzor is guided by the decisions of the following organisations:
Gosnarkokontrol (drugs) - 46%
Roskomnadzor (child porn) - 15%
Rospotrebnadzor (suicide) - 1%
Courts (everything) - 28%
PGO (extremism) - 5%
FTS (сasino) - 5%
Probably, in most cases, the censors themselves begin the process of blocking the site to report on their activities in benefit to the society. Basically the procedures of entering non-kosher site in the list of banned sites and remove it from the list are respected. Although not always the case. For example, Roskomnadzor may know your datacenter from an IP address of the site and to notify it on the entry in the Registry rather than to notify the hosting provider. It is illogical besides that the blocked page is no longer excluded from the Registry, even after its removal if it was added by court order. And surely, those who don't hesitate to ban the home page can look stupid.